Monday, November 11, 2019

Trying to Abide (Part 5)

The only thing I have marked previously in 107 is vs. 3 about the official name of the Melchizedek Priesthood and then vss. 22-23 about the there being 12 Apostles that are to be special witnesses.  That's it!  Everything else I've felt is about organizing of Priesthood and responsibilities of such.  It has been a section that is literally unmarked by me.  Never studied by me as to how does it pertain to me.

As I've looked at it and prayed about, for some sort of direction or understanding, I have found it interesting.  I've looked for Priesthood power available to me.  Not being ordained with the Priesthood but looking to what is the power associated with it and of that power...what is available to me.

107
vs.18-19 power.  spiritual blessings. heavens opened. to enjoy presence of God and Christ
vs. 20 ministering of angels
vs. 30-31 character traits listed that will bear fruit. footnote-a of vs.31

Even though I have not studied this section before...I have independently always been fascinated with the organization of how things are to be run with the leadership lines.  I stay current on changes and am always interested in new things.  I find change exciting within the Gospel.  I think that is one reason why I love General Conference because there is always some sort of an update and something eliminated and replaced with nothing or replaced with something no one thought of or saw coming.  this is one of those blessings that I appreciate for living as long as I have...I have seen a lot of changes!  People either roll with it or they hold a bit of a grudge and it sticks in their craw!  A friend told me that she felt I was blessed with the gift of accepting change!  I quite like that idea!  Maybe I've not been tested yet with a change that rankles me?  I just know I accept that a living Church with a living Prophet will have changes made to move us forward.  I not only accept...I expect it.

Two things really opened a floodgate of memories...1-reading about the duties of the 70's and 2-vs.99 learn your duty. act in all diligence to your calling.

1-In Alaska in the late 60's a friend of ours was a 70 in our Stake and then one day...all of that was dissolved.  That role/responsibility of 70's has been changed until it was finally in alignment with what the Lord had in mind.  I remember Elder Boyd K. Packer stating that what the Lord wanted was always right there in the 107th Section.  I could not find that quote but I did refresh my mind with these....
Conference talk by President Benson 1986 announcing change here
Letter to Stake leaders how to implement change here

there had been other changes before that change in the 70's. Such as...

In 1976, church president Spencer W. Kimball announced that the calling of Assistant to the Twelve would be discontinued, and that the 22 men then serving in that calling would be ordained to the priesthood office of seventy and assigned to the First Quorum of the Seventy, which had been organized in 1975.[3] The following individuals held the calling of Assistant to Twelve:[4]


I remember when there were additional Counselors called to the First Presidency...like the 3rd Counselor etc. etc.  Eventually that was eliminated.

It goes on and on with changes right at the top of Church.  Policies and procedures change but principles are in stone.  Remember 4th Article of Faith?  I expect that refinement to never end.

I'm okay with all of it.  So far anyhow!  I hope that continues!  President Nelson has revamped everything it seems!

2- vs.99 there are so many positive reasons to learn our duty in our callings with all diligence. blessings abound, like interest on a good investment, and the memories are life sustaining in their goodness.  I think I'll blog about that tomorrow.  that will be my wrap-up on Sections 25...84...107!









No comments: