Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Chapter Book-Rabbit Hole

Down the rabbit hole meaning

Used especially in the phrase going down the rabbit hole or falling down the rabbit hole, a rabbit hole is a metaphor for something that transports someone into a wonderfully (or troublingly) surreal state or situation. On the internet, a rabbit hole frequently refers to an extremely engrossing and time-consuming topic. 
Sometimes my personal life and challenges converge with my study of spiritual things and I go down a wonderfully surreal state!... a rabbit hole!  One thing just seems to lead to another and I gain needed help for dealing with mortality and also a greater connection...a greater understanding of something spiritual.  I can feel the Spirit teaching me and I am thankful as thoughts of solutions and things of the Spirit do this wonderful converging!

For a few weeks life has been challenging with Terry's health issues.  I felt we'd hit a new-time low, and as I tried to regroup and figure out how to deal with another NewNormal, I went down a great rabbit hole.  I wonder if the wonder of it will even come across in my words?  I guess to just share, seemingly unrelated thoughts and talks, and perhaps you will enjoy these gems without having to research to find them!

I'm thinking this is a Chapter Book!  A small book.  A Booklet?  Whatever.  Enjoy!

Foreword

I was seeking help, prayerfully & tearfully, on how to deal with helping Terry (he does not have a disease and he is not bedridden but his balance is off and he can't really do much of anything.  his intense pain has decreased but we still have a lot of challenges and the work load is on me.  I am thankful I have that challenge and the strength to take care of "us".  so there you go.  in a nutshell.  Me feeling overcome and very overwhelmed with my life)

I was seeking help on that level and also studying the Come Follow Me program.  

These two scriptures were the beginning of my recent learning journey.  

Paul said, “The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned” (1 Corinthians 2:14).

Nephi said, "Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you" (1 Nephi 15:11).




Chapter 1

A Pattern for Learning Spiritual Things by Elder Paul V. Johnson... August 7, 2012 here  Speaking at Seminaries & Institute Broadcast

Nephi continued with a brief summary of the process for learning spiritual things: “Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you” (1 Nephi 15:11).
This pattern is crucial for our students to understand if they have questions about spiritual things. We can make the mistake of trying to resolve doubts about spiritual things by leaning exclusively on intellectual answers. Answers to spiritual questions are given to individuals who don’t harden their hearts; who ask in faith, believing they will receive; and who diligently keep the commandments. Even when we follow this pattern, we don’t control the timing of getting answers. Sometimes our answers come quickly, and sometimes we must place questions on the shelf for a time and rely on our faith that has developed from the answers we do know.

(this talk is just amazing and then as a bonus...he shares something 34 years previous to his talk.  It is the perfect talk to use with your family as an explanation about Prophetic counsel that changes current things in a major way!! In June 1978 it was announced that all worthy males could receive the Priesthood.  It was a shock wave that rolled over the Church members in many cases. This marvelous talk was given a few weeks later by a member of the 12. Enjoy!)

Bruce R. McConkie All Are Alike unto God.... here
“Forget everything that I have said, or what President Brigham Young or President George Q. Cannon or whomsoever has said in days past that is contrary to the present revelation. We spoke with a limited understanding and without the light and knowledge that now has come into the world.
“We get our truth and our light line upon line and precept upon precept. We have now had added a new flood of intelligence and light on this particular subject, and it erases all the darkness and all the views and all the thoughts of the past. They don’t matter any more.
“It doesn’t make a particle of difference what anybody ever said about the … matter before the first day of June of this year (1978)” (“All Are Alike unto God” [CES symposium on the Book of Mormon, Aug. 18, 1978], 2; http://si.lds.org).
Chapter 2
(marvelous talk by Elder Cook and I have always loved the wisdom in the Fosdick quote he shared)

Quinton Cook....here  The Eternal Importance of Righteous Choices  
(From devotional addresses given at Brigham Young University–Hawaii on November 20, 2018, and at the Utah Valley Institute of Religion on February 1, 2019.)


We need to understand that there is opposition in all things and that the righteous choices we make are critical.

When I was young, I was introduced to a statement by Harry Emerson Fosdick, a renowned Protestant minister. In speaking of choices, he said: “The tragic evils of our life are so commonly unintentional. We did not start out for that poor, cheap goal. That aim was not in our minds at all. … That is why the road to hell is always paved with good intentions, and that is why I am not celebrating high ideals, lofty aims, fine purposes, grand resolutions, but am saying instead that one of the most dangerous things in the world is to accept them and think you believe in them and then neglect the day-by-day means that lead to them. Ah, my soul, look to the road you are walking on! He who picks up one end of a stick picks up the other. He who chooses the beginning of a road chooses the place it leads to. It is the means that determines the end.”

Chapter 3
More Than Conquerers through Him That Loves Us  
by Paul V. Johnson - April 2011 CR     here

We don’t seek out tests, trials, and tribulations. Our personal journey through life will provide just the right amount for our needs. Many trials are just a natural part of our mortal existence, but they play such an important role in our progress.

Elder Orson F. Whitney said: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. … All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable. … It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire.”5

Alma 36:3 And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their atrust in God shall be supported in their btrials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be clifted up at the last day.

Chapter 4

Acquiring Spiritual Guidance Elder Scott  here


Afterword

Elder Scott tells us to write things down when the Spirit speaks.  Because this Rabbit Hole experience happened a week ago, I see a note to myself that is a list of last names... Eyring...Nibley...Benson...McConkie...Hinckley...Scott...Johnson.  
I can't remember if they are mentioned in the talks I shared or what!!  True Elder Scott said to take notes when the Spirit speaks but I'd say for me...more detail than a last name!!

The End




2 comments:

Arlene Barney said...

Your eords are encouraging to me at this time and gave me sure too on where to find peace and comfort. Since my retirement we have struggled to find our New Normal and what my role and increasing responsibility in that will need to be. It's overwhelming and exhausting. Your recommendations give me direction and hope.

Nancy Seljestad said...

I appreciate your comment, Arlene. It's a new and different world as we try to find sure footing on shifting sand!! I always draw strength from reminding myself...all of my prayers are answered but all of my requests may not be!
I'll continue to share my journey as I traverse an uncharted path!
Sending love! xoxox