Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Change=Nostalgia

There is a flip side to everything...even the thinnest of pancakes has 2 sides.  I'm loving and excited about all the changes.  The Church is alive and we are being led by a President that happens to be the Prophet for the world.  Not just us!

There are a couple of changes that make my heart have pangs of nostalgia.  I love paper things...books of course and I really enjoy the Ensign.  I have watched it morph and change and decrease in size and this month there are even some things for the DIGITAL ENSIGN.  It then lists 3 Digital-only articles for March. 

The format no longer features a message from one of the Presidency and other changes also.  Like a lot more coverage for the Young Adults (needed and timely!)

I'm banking on them always publishing a General Conference issue!

Digital magazine in our future?

I use my Paper Conference issue all the time.

This last week I have been so thankful for my testimony of Prophets and Apostles.  I believe what they say and I know we can go back to their counsel again and again for guidance.  I was doing some studying and ended up reading two Conference talks by President Monson.  They took me in a direction of thought that I wasn't looking for and I spent enjoyable time just thinking and pondering about how timely and totally inspired, for their given time of assignment as President/Prophet.

In 2012 he was talking about some of the Temple extravagances and how hard the youth worked etc. etc.  He then told about the back story on the Kansas City Temple youth production.  I remembered that story because our granddaughter was in that cast.  She experienced being a part of that prayer.  I thought back to her excitement in being involved and how much it meant to her.

Then I ended up reading President Monson's talk in 2008 and in that one he announced that there would be a Temple in Kansas City!  Sort of ironic that I read them out of sequence but I remembered how happy we were for that particular Temple.  The thing that really got my attention was again he talked about the extravaganzas and mentioned some that he had seen.

He said...
The evening before each of the temple dedications took place, magnificent cultural events were held. In Curitiba, Brazil, 4,330 members from the temple district, supported by a choir of 1,700 voices, presented a most inspirational program through song, dance, and video. The enormous soccer stadium where the event took place was filled with spectators. The wind had been blowing, and rain threatened. I offered a silent prayer asking Heavenly Father to look with mercy upon those who had prepared so diligently for our entertainment and whose costumes and presentations would be damaged if a heavy rain or wind enveloped them. He honored that prayer, and it wasn’t until the end of the show and later on that evening that rain fell in abundance.
A history of the Church in Brazil was portrayed in song and dance. A particularly moving scene was the portrayal of Elders James E. Faust and William Grant Bangerter, who served as missionaries in Curitiba in 1940. As their photos were displayed on large screens, a tremendous cheer went up from the audience. All in all, it was a glorious event.
In Panama City, Panama, the evening before the dedication of the temple there, we watched some 900 of our youth, gathered from across Panama. They were dressed in colorful folkloric costumes as they danced and presented messages of family, fellowship, and faith. We learned that they had been practicing for a year. They came from points as distant as the San Blas Islands and the Changuinola region in northeast Panama. The trip to the capital city for the San Blas youth exacted three days of travel over land and sea. The event was magnificent and inspiring.
In preparation for our most recent temple dedication, in Twin Falls, Idaho, local Church members constructed a huge stage at the Filer, Idaho, fairgrounds and filled the dirt arena with sod and other decorations, including a large waterfall to represent Shoshone Falls, a popular landmark located two miles (3 km) from the new temple. The evening of the performance, 3,200 young men and young women entered the arena waving blue and white ribbons, turning the arena into a representation of a great river of flowing water. Titled “Living Water,” from John 4:10, 14, the celebration brought together youth from 14 stakes in the new temple district. They depicted, through song and dance, both their dependence for their spiritual lives on the living water from the Savior and their dependence for their physical lives on the mountain streams and rivers in their area. Those of us privileged to witness this event were uplifted and edified.
I am an advocate for such events. They enable our youth to participate in something they truly find unforgettable. The friendships they form and the memories they make will be theirs forever.
With the current Prophet- Some Pageants are being discontinued that are old and familiar.  The most striking thing to me...I never heard it announced but there are no cultural dance/story extravaganza for the youth at Temple dedications but now...a Devotional for youth only is held.  I think that is just absolutely beautiful to think about.  Everywhere we look...the youth and that includes the 11 year olds and up, are being gathered in and taken care of on so many aspects.  I love it!
The thing that I really mulled over and will miss forever is how there will never be Church callings that are for teaching every single week for however long that calling lasts.  I have been so blessed with the joy of serving in wonderful exciting fulfilling callings and teaching a class has been my dream and I've been fortunate to teach lots of classes...institute/seminary/Gospel Doctrine/YW/some RS and one Primary class when I joined the Church and then one Primary class last year.  
I have loved all of my classes but I tell you that Primary class last year surely ranks up at the top.  There are a lot of reasons why but the main one was the joy I felt when I got the call and then to have a spiritual confirmation of their specialness and what I needed to do in teaching the class and what needed to be accomplished.  Little did I know that it would be a historical time in the Church...the last year of that class as a part of Primary...11 year olds going to the Temple and all the things leading up to today with an 11 year old, in this years class being ordained a Deacon!  I have never loved a class as deeply as that group of kiddos.  It was the best time ever!!
Things like that will not happen again.  Now that excitement about the Gospel and growth of their testimonies will take place, rightfully so, in their homes.  In our current class we have two teachers and 2 Sundays for lessons.  I will teach this Sunday, the first week in March and I won't teach again until May!  The other sister  taught in February and she will not teach again until April!  Stake Conference and General Conference are on our class day.  You can see from that schedule that it's not like the olden days!  Also you can feel my hope and prayers that all of their parents are doing their level best to do the lessons at home.
I will not be the least surprised to find this was a transition time and we will end up with no classes and just a Sacrament meeting, with Saints connected with fantastic ministering, at some point!
Okay.  I'll stop the talking!
I'll end with expressing gratitude for prayers being answered.  Lately I've had a super tough time...just life and concern for Terry and just stuff that happens to all mortals that has to be dealt with...life is always about regrouping!  I've been having a general check-up and one of them was to check the arteries.  When I got to the place, new to me, the woman asked for picture ID.  I pulled out my wallet and opening it and there was nothing in the slot!  NO drivers license!!!  the blood just drained from my face.  I have never had that happen.  Ever!  Anyhow I searched and searched and prayed but scouring the same places over and over did not reveal the DL.  I knew I was going to have to replace it and I was just stumped as to how it got out of my wallet.  Was it stolen...my thoughts went everywhere.  So I decided to make plans for a new one.  A mind-voice said...check the clutch bag. I have my Mother's purse.  Her clutch bag.  I went and got it out and checked the 3 pockets and nothing but when I unzipped the side zipper...there it was!  I use that bag when I go to the theatre for a play as it's rather flat and easy to carry etc.  Then I remembered 3-4 months ago going to a play and slipping my DL in there for just in case!
In spite of all the happenings in the world and all of the stuff I'm working on in my own life...the Lord is aware of me.  I'm thankful and appreciative of that fact.  He cares and I love Him. 



No comments: