Monday, January 28, 2019

A delightful day!!

Yesterday Terry and I had an absolutely fantastic Sunday!  We visited last night about why we loved it and what we had experienced in having our Grandson and his children come for dinner.  They live about an hour away and we know it's not easy to wrangle kiddos for a car ride, even an hour one, when 5 month old Jack does not like his car seat in even the least little bit.

Maybe the greatness of the day started when I went to the Temple and on the way home the idea popped into my head to prepare all the food on Saturday for our Sunday late afternoon dinner.  That reminded me of doing that when we had our 5 children at home.  It was almost always pot roast with veggies...homemade bread...a dessert of some sort.  Ready to eat right when we got home.  No fuss. No muss.  Just a practical way to feed our hungry bunch.

Maybe it was watching Fiddler on the Roof  with Terry a few days earlier.  And being so touched with the preparation for their Sabbath and hearing Golda sing that Sabbath prayer.

Maybe it was the thought of going to be with our son and his son and his wife and their 3 children that just made me happy to even think about getting together.

In that car ride home I decided that I would do my best to prepare all meals for Sunday on Saturday, even for the two of us.  Consequently in readiness for our upcoming family dinner...I baked bread...I made soup...I made a cake.  You readers know that cooking has become a real challenge for me at this stage of my life so this was exciting and amazing to me to act on those promptings and feel such joy in the doing and anticipation of family around the table.  I thought back to the early years of our marriage when we had 3 little ones and I loved preparing food for our Sunday meal.  Those were great memories!

They arrived. We got ready to eat.  In honor of my Mother, I sliced the bread and put a stack on a plate.  We always had a bread plate growing up.  I had a bread plate when we had our family at home.  Terry and I in our AfterTalk remembered he had a bread plate on his talbe also.  Perhaps everyone still does a bread plate?  I brought the tradition back to our Sunday table!

There was such joy at the table...chatter...laughter...enjoyment of each other (and the food).

Eventually MisterJack was getting more tired and fussier and his Momma did not want him to fall asleep in the house but wanted that to happen in the car so it was time for them to leave.

Hugs and loves all around and waving and blowing kisses as they drove off.

Terry and I then sat and visited and shared the absolute enjoyment we had experienced.  We were almost giddy with reliving the marvelous feelings we continued to feel, as we reminisced, over our 2.5 hours of being together.  Terry said...it was a delight!  

Those words...it was a delight!...triggered my memory.  Terry!  We have been blessed for our effort in doing the Come Follow Me program, the best we can!

I remembered these statements!!!!....  

President Nelson opening remarks October 2018 General Conference:
Our efforts over these recent years to hallow the Sabbath—to make it a delight and a personal sign to God of our love for Him—will be augmented by the adjustments we will now introduce.

President Nelson closing remarks October 2018 General Conference:
I promise that as you diligently work to remodel your home into a center of gospel learning, over time your Sabbath days will truly be a delight. 

Elder Quinton R. Cook October 2018 General Conference:
As individuals and families engage in family councils, family history, ministering, service, personal worship, and joyful family time, the Sabbath day will truly be a delight.
Our  joyful family time resulted in a Sabbath day delight!! 

********************** 

for you.... Golda's Sabbath song here



                                             

2 comments:

VanderSluis Family said...

Hi Nancy! I am catching up on your blog and wanted to add my testimony to yours about COME FOLLOW ME. Jason, Evan, and I have been faithful in having our lessons on Sunday evening. It has been amazing being able to testify and teach to my 15 year old son while he holds my hand or sits close to me. Just like when he was little! I am looking forward to David coming home from college to join us. We are truly blessed in this new way of teaching the gospel.

Nancy Seljestad said...

Hi Ami! that is so wonderful! I never realized how exhausting Sunday was until this marvelous change! This is the most relaxing way for a Sunday ever! How blessed your boys are to have you and Jason...united and following the Prophet!
Thanks for reading my blog. I've been a bit lax and am now ready to regroup and move onward!
Love always to you!