Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Blooming Geraniums

I have tried and tried to post pictures and I'm going to just go ahead without them.  I wanted to show you my two hanging geranium plants that are on the porch.  The leaves are still green and the flowers still a beautiful bright red.  There they are- defying the odds of cold November weather, long deprived of water, boldly hanging on, against the back drop of the brilliant fall colors, of the weeping birch, shedding it's leaves.  It is glorious!  I want to be like my magnificent plants.  Stalwart in the midst of challenges...maintaining who I am, the best I can, and enduring to the end...knowing eventually, despite the odds of desiring to survive, I too will fade and fall.

The other picture I wanted to share is the bag I dumped on the table, in trying to pick out the one Rx for my sweetie, that had to be searched for- in the heap of pharmaceuticals unceremoniously dumped after hours at the ER- as they tried to help him get on top of unrelenting pain.  Pain that causes him to cry out as it intermittently strikes without warning, like an electric shock.  that is how neuralgia delivers it's blows.  Usually others suffer in their jaws.  The unrelenting stabs nearly driving one insane.  His hits at random wherever it chooses.  This time though it pounded on his knee and then moved up further on his thigh.  You get the picture.  Unrelenting.  Without mercy.  He apologizes in between moans and yelps.  I reassure him and soothe him and I suffer exhaustion along with him.

Without him knowing, and out of sight, I remove my reassuring mask (after telling him I am just fine and he need not say he is sorry) put on some classical instrumental music or hymns, and tears silently stream, and a lot of stress is released.

Yesterday I cried all the way through a sublime music centered funeral and was comforted, and re-strengthened testimony wise, by all that was spoken and sung.

I read the scriptures.  I read Conference talks.  I read things on LDS.org about new changes coming.  I pray.  I think about the Savior.  I think about the Gospel.  I think about my testimony.  I think about faith.  I think about my beautiful Patriarchal blessing.  I think about the power of the Priesthood and in my mind's eye, that place of sacred memories...I think about this fine, honorable man, my love, that has used that power for good on so many occasions.  My life has been so richly blessed by his gift.  I talk with him about him needing a blessing.

His friend, Bob, is called.  A friend that he is very comfortable with. A friend that can withstand any outburst, of the sound, of nearly constant pain. A man seasoned in years and belief and understanding, of the power of the power, he has at his disposal.  Terry is comforted and reminded that a new Rx plan is in place and in time it will work.  Relief from the pain is mentioned and promised rest.  Sweetness of Spirit permeates the room.

A wonderful bit of rest ensues before pain resumes a couple of hours later.  It has lessened though and as he says it's tolerable.  The sweetness of taking the edge off of pain!!  Bliss! We talk about the ER Dr. and how he wants to help and he has a plan and we are embracing it.  It will take awhile to get the Rx in his system and working but we are game for several more challenging days, with such a bright light at the end of this dark tunnel.

We talk about how fortunate we are and how much worse so many others have it and so many never have the promise, the hope, of possibly a new approach, with a new Rx will help.  We have hope.

Psalms 30:5 ....weeping may endure for a night, but bjoy cometh in the morning.

What a promise!

Life is not for the faint of heart.  With the gospel and looking to the Savior...we can all survive and make it.  Here's to all of us pilgrims on the path of life...soldier on!!


Fight on my men!
I am hurt, but I am not slain;
I'll lay me down and bleed awhile,
and then I'll rise to fight again.
                                                                                                            by Sir Andrew Barton

I'm on my feet again.  and you?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting to see a post again and was happy today to see yours! I'm sorry that Terry is experiencing the pain you have described. As I have often said, "getting old is not for sissies"! James and I go walking in the mall quite frequently and we both laugh as we get out of the car...each with our own cane!I know that pain is not a laughing matter but I think it is good to be able to find humor wherever we can! Bless you both.

Natalie said...

Oops...forgot to sign my name....Natalie.

Nancy Seljestad said...

I knew it was you! I thought of you all those days that I didn't post! Thanks for your love! We will not survive life but we will survive living through it and make it to The End!