Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Reunion Time

This is the time of year that we are in full swing, mayhem preparation, for our annual family reunion at McCall.  This year it's not going to happen!  To many ups and downs and unpredictability on health issues and on and on.  The time share called to reserve the condos per usual and I canceled.

Our daughter, ever the woman in charge of her 4 brothers (and sometimes us also!), decided that everyone needed to come here!  One son and family cannot come this year but that still leaves all the rest.  I was shocked and appalled as time went on ....there is really nothing to do in our neck of the woods as far as what the family is used to doing!  fun things that are familiar and just the entire festive atmosphere.  There is something so refreshing when you are in a place and all the folks around you, are there also to enjoy their own families and summer and vacationing events.  (Hawaii makes me feel like that!)

Anyhow it ended up being so stressful to me and I then emailed everyone and basically said...there is nothing here to do.  let's cancel and do our regular McCall trip next year and let's rent a house and all stay under one roof.

I thought it brilliant and then came the firestorm from my daughter...reminding me that plane tickets were purchased/time off work arranged etc. etc.  plus she added something that insinuated that I'd lost my mind.  well, she asked if I had done so.  Lost my mind.  I guess she didn't actually insinuate.  She just questioned if I'd slip a notch in my thought process of this family event.

She also pointed out that no one was coming for entire week as we usually did.  It would just be a few days.  According to her no one gives a hoot about doing things.  They just want to see us!  Be with us. Talk with us.  Let siblings see siblings.  Cousins visit with cousins.

After thinking it through and sort of going back and forth with my sweet girl...she was wanting to  make arrangements to have dinner etc. at the Church.  I didn't want it at the Church.  We will celebrate an early anniversary and I wanted family dinner and nothing else.  She wanted friends to come.  I detest surprise parties except for the most hearty-party folks that revel in that sort of fun.  Anyhow a bit of shadowboxing and a truce was agreed on.

A family dinner on the one day that everyone will be here.  lots of visiting and eating and not sure yet what else.

I didn't want it at Church as I wanted it more cozy and outdoorsy.  I tried to rent a place that I just love but it was booked.  Checked out a couple of others and didn't feel right.  I didn't like being constrained by times etc.  I wanted it relaxed and no deadlines.  I was standing at the sink and looked out at our backyard and realized...that is where I want my family dinner!!1

Long tables end to end with all of my children and their families eating a family dinner.  Just us.  Our kiddos at home one more time!!

When I told Jeanee she was so happy!  Honestly...I don't know if she was so happy because I finally settled on something and got on board the reunion train OR if she was so happy because of the backyard location!!

So I am now looking forward to seeing most of our children and having that one day, that we will share a meal together and celebrate our family and our marriage.

Stay tuned!!  Not sure what is coming down the Pike yet - other than a great dinner in the back yard!

I did tell my friend Carol that we weren't going to McCall and asked to borrow her long tables.  So that is arranged.  She offered her spacious yard to use but I'm just going for our small one.

**********************

To you readers in France....welcome to my blog!  That is exciting to me!

******************************

This has some really good advice!!  The Church is awesome!!

Your 9-Point Survival Guide for Hard Times... here

No comments: