Monday, July 13, 2015

Home again!!!

I'm back from my week-long Idaho trip.  I am bushed for sure!  We itemized every single item in my sister's house, as to where she wants things to go, in the event of her moving to the next phase of living.  Hopefully that won't be for a long time but it does seem a bit grim right now.

16 pages later, of listing thing after thing after thing!....I'm ready for a rest!  We are sisters but so different in so many ways.  Me the HippieAmishSistah and she is the HollywoodGlamQueen and if the glitter sticks then the the more the better.  I think she was born with the love of sparkle.  I've mentioned before the attraction she felt to the shine of rhinestones. In the 50's we all loved those little fake diamonds and we all wore them to our proms.  She graduated on to fine jewelery and has quite a collection of gorgeous gems.  Well, used to have...past tense!  She has shared them with her 4 daughters but even with that dispersing there was a lot left throughout the house.

She loves fine China and Crystal glasses and silverware edged in gold and chandeliers with shades changed seasonally and floor length tablecloths and toppers and very large beautiful floral centerpieces and big mirrors and lovely paintings in gilded frames.  This is a picture of her formal dining room.  Her home is small.  Like a tiny palace filled with only the best quality and highest excellence in decor and furnishings.  Yes.  It took 16 pages to itemize the treasure chest.  

My favorite thing in the room?...her!
She even puts her make-up on immediately when she wakes up.  I drive her nuts!!

She loves beauty and lots of it!  She is a fan of decorator pillows...

her bedroom bed pillows
the guest room window seat with bed pillows
her couch cushions
 Four daughters that grew from babyhood to adulthood.   Can you begin to imagine what could happen if treasures weren't designated?  Maybe a cat fight of the former kitties?  She didn't want to leave anything to chance so we started afresh.  It didn't matter who had hoped for what item.  She just erased the slate and started over with where she wanted things to go and not trying to fulfill any previous requests.  The dust settled and we worked long and hard.  Sometimes things are not really valuable money-wise but sentimentally they are worth their weight in gold!

When I went over, I wasn't sure what I'd find or what I could do to help.  When she started talking about giving such and such to so and so, I asked...do you have a list?  she said...No. I don't.  She'd already mentioned a couple of items that a couple of daughters wanted the same thing.  Uh-oh.

I reminded her of how overwhelming it was when our Mother died and we would be emptying the house.  Her will, certain to make sure that everything was even-steven, stated...the entire house and all contents are to be shared 50-50.  Now let me tell you that is overwhelming to consider when you are in a house that has housed an 82 year old woman that was married for umpteen dozen years.

I knew that families many times divide at the division of properties and knew that we had to be ready and not have any fussing.  A plan was devised and it worked great.  We did get in a little fuss over our Grandmother Clark's sugar spoon but nothing else.  Don't judge me harshly on that episode!!  she wanted to break up the set of sugar spoon and butter knife.  I felt they should stay together so the battle line was drawn.  As we went through items to add to our line item list...she handed me the spoon to go with the knife from all those years ago!

In our big-time-list-making, there was only one time that I lost my cool and with dramatic flair, threw up my hands, and said with a very loud voice...I quit!!  That's it!!  I'm out of here!!

Well, of course I didn't quit and we plowed ahead.  I did try to be peaceful and calm and keep on task and focused.  Mostly I did that but there was a snappiness to my voice at times if I got super frustrated.  It was wonderful when it was all over/done/complete to see how much peace it brought to her.

I admit to coming up with a great way to inventory and list the happenings in the future of all designated treasures.  I need to do that for myself!


We had times of tenderness and tears.  One time I hugged her so hard and squeezed her so tight that the soft pliable oxygen line on her cheek got squished by me!  Not cutting her oxygen off but we did get a good laugh about it!

Sunday night she called and said she is feeling better.  I hope so.  We can always hope for miracles because we do believe in miracles.  Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.  Is this a part of provident living???
**********************

I took a few pictures of the Meridian Temple that is going up.  I'll share.  Don't I remember seeing a sketch of this and it has a domed roof and is rather square looking?  it reminded me of a mosque!  surely I'm dreaming.  it sort of looks like it???

Mosque looking????

It's on a hill.
very large.  very high up!
*************************

It's good to be back.  I still have so much I want to talk about.  It may be dibs and dabs because family starts coming in on Tuesday and it will be pretty much non-stop with activity.

President Packer.  I loved him so much and learned so much from him.  Can you imagine now finding two men/families willing to stop all they are doing, divest themselves of all worldly things and take on serving right up to the day of their death???  I'm assuming, no, I'm not assuming!...I know there are some men prepared to do that deed and the Lord will tell the First Presidency, and the remaining members of the 12, who those 2 men are.  I'm praying for all concerned.

(Celise...I've not forgotten that blog I said I'd do and I'll still get it done!!)  

No comments: