Friday, July 27, 2012

Robyn

Truly I am overwhelmed with how blessed my life is.  I just see that I'm blessed on every side.  I'm not in pain.  I'm not sick.  I don't need surgery.  I don't need medication (okay.  yes.  I confess. I do take BP medicine but that's all)  I can walk without assistance.  True- there is to much of me but you know that I'm still eating good (more on that later!).

This summer in the midst of all my joy/appreciation/gratitude I saw many that were struggling.  I'm so happy that it's sort of scary.  You know, that sort of wondering if the other shoe is going to suddenly drop (do you even know of that expression?).  Terry is sometimes a bit like Eeyore and at times has a small gray cloud trying to shadow my sunshine!!  So he tells me to-- enjoy it while it lasts as this is mortality and it's a rough ride.  I tell him--Not so.  I've had enough tough times for 2 lifetimes!  (not really but it sounds grim, doesn't it)

The first person I ever met that suffered with Cystic Fibrosis was a young woman at the Branch, just graduated from high school, and attended faithfully.  When she could.  Actually I knew about her before I met her formally.  This is what happened.

I was teaching Seminary and they had one meeting of all the teachers, in Selah and Yakima Stakes, so our supplies could be given out.  Our Area Supervisor taught a lesson etc.  At one point he let each of us choose a Bible picture and tell why it was special to us.  I was new to the area and didn't know anyone.  This one sister chose a story and related it to the reality of her life that her young daughter had CF and would eventually die early.  Her tender sharing was such a beautiful experience and from that moment on I prayed for her daughter.  I didn't know the woman nor her daughter's name.

Fast forward several years and we were serving in the Young Adult Branch.  There are always all sorts of new youth the beginning of the school year and it took a bit to sort them out.  I knew this young woman was new but hadn't yet met her.  We went on a Temple trip to Bellvue/Seattle Temple and she went.  some were going to do baptism and some were going through a session.

I was surprised to see her sitting in the Chapel area.  I thought a mistake was made that she was lost or something or other.  I went over to her and sat down and said...you look so young to be endowed.
she replied....I am young to be endowed.  I think she was 18.  I was stunned and wondered why but didn't ask.  As I went to sit down the Spirit spoke to me very clearly...this is the young woman that you have prayed for all this time.

I was dumbfounded and thought it couldn't be.  It was.  I called and asked if her Mother had been a Seminary teacher.  She was.  We had a very tender spiritual talk.  Her young daughter had wanted to take out her endowments so bad and permission had been granted as her time was running out.  Turns out her name was Jolene.  from Selah.


She was such a valiant fighter.  Suffered so much but just battled through all that her CF dealt her.  She was in her 20's when she moved to the next realm of life.   She outlived all her friends at Children's in Seattle.  Her Dad called me the day she died and we had a tearful talk.  She was a valiant spirit and I enjoyed our association so much.

Several years ago I met another amazing CF victim.  She is a friend of my daughters in FL.  I was amazed at how long she had lived and those in the medical field are also surprised at her longevity.  I'd seen pictures of her before and knew her through the dance studio that she taught in. Cassie and Tori took dance lessons there.  Ballet is her life.  (Well, 2nd to her husband and 2 sons.)  Jeanee had done a photo shoot of her for a CF fundraiser calendar.  I met her in person at Jeanee's Gala, featuring her photography at the King Center.  I couldn't find my favorite shot of her, eventually used on a magazine cover.  Just shows her ballet shoes, on pointe, on the beach, standing on rocks.  gorgeous!  but the one below is one I lifted from Jeanee that was on the calendar!

Robyn just had a double lung transplant!!!  What a miracle!!  She is 42 years old!!  weighed 82#!  down to 18% lung capacity!  2 months away from certain death!  On oxygen all the time.  as her health rapidly declined her chances for being a recipient narrowed.  You have to have enough strength to withstand the rigor of the surgery and then fight to survive.

We were thrilled when she made the list.  Stunned when Jeanee got the call that she was headed to the hospital.  We were just leaving Leavenworth and on our way to Kirkland.

She is such a fighter.  She reminds me of an Olympian.  Jolene was that way also.

They did the surgery through her side.  that surprised me.  she got the trach out real soon and 2 of the 4 drainage tubes are out.  now she is in a lot of pain and the battle to survive starts again.

I thought you'd enjoy these pictures....  The ballerina during the calendar shoot.   with her husband.  after surgery.  then a couple of days later.

She is in my prayers.  Yours also?  Please.



 Photo: Dear Robyn Simmons DeKeyser - I know you'll be up and dancing and amazing everyone before you know it!  Robyn has received her new lungs, thank God!  I love you so much girl!

Robyn Simmons DeKeyser




Photo: Smiling through the pain. Miracle Girl xoxox





No comments: