Monday, July 30, 2012

11th Article of Faith...came to mind

In hot weather I steer clear of being in the intensity of the heat.  I love evenings after things have cooled down a bit and sitting on the porch.  I love the brightness of warm weather, even hot weather, and the growth of all vegetation but I'm usually looking at it from the chilliness of AC, be it car or house.  The last few weeks and being on the run, out in public midday, and seeking shade under trees or awnings of some sort really brought home the fact that a lot of people wear very little clothing in order to stay comfortable.  I have seen more cleavage/bra straps/midriffs and shorts, as short as the zipper on jeans, which gives additional glimpses beyond the upper leg!  Enough to last a lifetime!

True there were several that tried and achieved a bit of modesty.  They looked stylish and cute but did not fit in the majority's choice of very summer wear. (In the old movie Laurence of Arabia in that sweltering desert didn't they wear voluminous robes?  Don't people in that type of heat wear clothing that covers their skin to stay cool?... and not uncover and expose themselves to the scorching rays?  Just a thought!)

Sunday at Church, in my own Home Ward!!, I was so happy to be in attendance.  It was such a marked change from the past few weeks of hotel hopping, mingling with strangers, and observing the world in action.  I was in a building that each person was clean and fresh looking.  The majority of men in white shirts, ties, suits.  Women dressed in summer dresses, modest on all counts, stylish shoes.  It was so refreshing!!  Everyone looked so classy!!  loved it!!

One morning on my adventures, I'd grown tired of looking at trinkets in shops and opted to stay at the Hotel lobby, read the paper and just people watch.  Even though I had on a white long sleeve blouse, with cuffs rolled up, my pants were long (by choice!), and I soon realized that I really looked strange compared to everyone else.  I was overdressed!  not overdressed as to fancy.  overdressed as with-- to many clothes.  Truly I stood out even though I was sitting. I thought of the scripture....being in the world but not of the world.

But then my attention turned to an entire group of women that made me look conservative!  We'd noticed them at the breakfast served earlier in the day.  They were on a woman's retreat.  Late teens through Grannies.  The Church group had the name Apostolic in it but I can't remember the rest of it.
They all wore floor length skirts, high-neck/long sleeved tops.  Not a bit of  make-up. And their hair was all fixed the same.  3 buns in the back and a big slicked back pompadour in the front.

I was seated when they made their way to the lobby.  they were meeting there to get ready for their day's adventure.  I was staring.  I saw and heard people ask them....are you a club?  is this some sort of initiation?  is your group part of a wedding? etc. etc.  They always answered the same...we are a Church women's group on a retreat.

As I was staring/observing/watching, I got to thinking that I should introduce myself to them.  About then I noticed a young woman walking straight towards me.  She came right up to me and I motioned for her to sit down in the chair by me.  She was so sweet.  A 17 year old girl.  Her grandfather was a convert to her faith and thus her mother was and the girl had also opted to be a member.

I asked about her elaborate hairstyle.  She told me that you pull your hair back into a ponytail and divide it into 3 sections.  The top section is rolled to the front and secured with bobby pins.  The middle is rolled to the back of the head and touched the first roll.  Then the bottom one is rolled downward and pushed up to the middle roll.  The poufy-ness comes because they never cut their hair as they feel that is a Bible teaching.  They have hair way past their backside so they can sort of do a conservative Geisha hairdo.  To see 50 women fixed up in similar fashion was a very interesting sight to all of us lobby seated nonmembers.

She shared some of the things they were doing and one was going rafting in the afternoon.  I asked how they would be able to keep their skirts down and she said it wasn't a problem.

After some chitchat, I asked the girl if she had come to save my soul and she timidly smiled.  She was 17. I asked what her Church doctrine was and she wanted to know what that meant.  I said...it's what your Church teaches you that are truths to you.  I asked who authorized her pastor and she said he had asked each Church member if they felt he was called of God and they all said yes.  She said she believed in Jesus Christ and I said I did also.  She said she believed in the King James version of the Bible and I said I did also.  She said she believed in the Holy Ghost and I said I did also.  We did that short of sharing on basic Bible teachings and then I said...I am a Mormon.  She was startled and told me I was wrong.  I told her that I believe the Gospel is about love and not contention and my life is the Gospel.  She countered with...God is my life.   

I was thinking of the YW I know and how they, along with me, are suppose to bear our witness at all times and in all places.  She was doing what she knew to be true.  My heart felt tender towards her.

Our conversation was abruptly cut short when her Mother came over and said to her....What are you talking about?   She said...She wanted to know what I believe.  The Mother said...Come on we need to leave.

 And so they did.  I sat there and watched the Mother usher her daughter back to the safety of their fold.  Not out of the door but just back into the waiting group.

#11 Article of Faith 
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

 In quiet thought, as they later exited the building, I thought of how much I love the Gospel and the certainty of it that resides way down deep in my heart.  The peace that I feel because of my testimony. 

No comments: