Thursday, July 18, 2019

Refuge

Embarrassingly enough...I have to confess that the SLC Temple print that I bought ages ago...2 years, maybe?  That print remained in the mailing tube until a couple of weeks ago.  I was really prompted when President Nelson talked about the Come Follow Me Program, when it was introduced in 2018... he mentioned about transforming our homes into a sanctuary of faith.  That really got me out of sloth mode to get my print framed.  True I wasn't moving at break neck speed as his comment was made 9 months ago!

I had it framed at Hobby Lobby and picked it up yesterday.  I LOVE it!  and so does Hubby!  After I selected the 2 matting colors and the frame...2 days later I had angst about was the choice right etc. etc.  Oh, yes.  It was right.  Right for us anyhow!

I have got to learn how to take pictures with this phone that just stays in place on any flat surface and is not used!  Another procrastination.  So I can't show the framed version that is hanging on my wall but I can show you the one I chose.  The Salt Lake Temple from the artists Refuge From the Storm series.  This Temple is so meaningful to us...the Missionaries had a picture of it on their flannel board and I thought it was a castle.  We ended up having our family sealed in this edifice.  It took 3 expensive trips to get all 5 children connected!  Wonderful!!

The Temple is my refuge from my own storms.  I feel this rendition shows the effort of weathering the storm, in order to find refuge from the storm.  I feel it shows the effort needed to attend the Temple and that we can always find excuses to not go but we need to power through, no matter the storms surrounding us, in order to find shelter within the Temple.  I could go on and on but I'll spare you!!

The hymn lyrics to Jesus, Lover of My Soul are running through my head.  Not a hymn associated with Temples but to me it definitely is how I feel and what I seek and what I receive, when I attend the Temple.

*************************

Refuge From the Storm


"And there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the daytime from the heat, and for a place of refuge, and for a covert from storm and from rain." 
Isaiah 4:6
The world in which we live can sometimes seem like a storm.  It is continually becoming stronger, and can at times feel cold and harsh. 
One way we can find shelter and escape the troubles that we face is by going to the temple. The House of the Lord can stand against anything. 
It is there for us as a "Refuge from the Storm."  Cortney C. Lunt



Salt Lake Temple  Watercolor

4 comments:

Natalie Thompson said...

Beautiful picture, Nancy! Refuge from the storm....how appropriate...especially in this stormy day and age! Hope all is well with you and Terry!

Nancy Seljestad said...

...and I hope all is well with you! we are dealing with mortality as all of us do--doing the best we can with the happenings!
always so wonderful to see a note from you!

Arlene Barney said...

Such a beautiful painting and daily reminder of the peace, blessings, refuge the temple provides as we strive to stay on the covenant path. I love it!

Nancy Seljestad said...

Hi Arlene! welcome to my blog!
I like so many things about this painting. it's rainy and stormy and yet effort is being made to go. I love the effort represented of slogging through the rain to get to the Temple. Facing the wind. Umbrellas at the ready. Even in the midst of personal storms we have the Temple beckoning to us.
Again...welcome to the sharing of my heart through my blog!
xoxox