Friday, June 14, 2019

Yakkity-yak!

This early a.m. I was thinking that I would love to have a study group of women that isn't really a study group as much as it's a sharing group.  Just a few women- sharing what impacted them in their scripture study the last week.  Actually maybe that describes the CFM program!  But I don't go to the adult class as I teach once a month- 11-13 year olds.  I don't know how much discussion/sharing goes on in the adult class.  Plus there are so many people.  I'm thinking just 3 or 4 women.  Sharing what we've learned or have been reminded of or gained greater insights from our own scripture study...does it further embed it in our spiritual psyche?  I think so!  And then the expansion of our understanding and growing as we hear how others have been impacted by their own study!  Sounds amazing to me!

Speaking of discussing...I do believe that the Seminary teachers have the best calling in the Church!  I cherish the many years I taught! Next year will be amazing with all the planned discussion going on with the youth.  I would love to see our current Seminary teacher stay and carry on.  He has it down to a rhythm and his heart is in it 100%.  A bit envious. Uh-huh...green eyes are showing! Jealousy is not pretty!

Luke 22!  Wow!
vs 31- made me think of the power or example of leaders and the leaf falling from the oak tree isn't noticed but the falling of the tree is.  we need to pray for our leaders.  the JST footnote clarifies why Satan will work on leaders to endeavor to bring us all down!
vs 32- difference between a testimony and conversion. Reminded me of my "word" that I chose in January...Becoming.  Studying enables my conversion.  I am becoming converted!
vs 44- I remember being fascinated when I learned of the word..Hematidrosis.  I remembered reading that most people would die of the pain.  He lived!!!  and He Lives!  great footnote sources.
We listened to Elder McConkie's fantastic talk from April 1985.  He had cancer and you could see how ill he was and how dry-mouthed he was.  He passed away a week or so later.  I remember being so overcome when I realized this would be the last time we'd see him and what a stalwart he was.  He was 69 then.  I absolutely am so strengthened by General Conference!  here is the talk.  Such a classic talk!

I decided to read the NT, cover to cover, and I got such a kick out of Romans Chapter 14.  I know the discourse was about religious beliefs, of the day, and new doctrine to them, on clean and unclean foods...stages of conversion to letting go of some things and starting anew on others but...vs 1 &2 is just so today!.  a great reminder from vs 15 to the end of chapter in vs 23... keeping a perspective of what the gospel really is and to not judge what others are eating or not eating!  As one that at various times has tried, and continues to embrace all of the Lo here and Lo there ad invites on eating programs/diets...I just loved this Chapter and it's realistic approach on attitudes in today's modern world.  Boo!!! Hiss!!! to the industrial age, that caused WW to teach me that fat was bad and sugar was good and Angel Food cake and CoolWhip would be fine to eat in mass quantity- if I so chose.  In the mirror I look and say...Well, good morning SugarAddict!  Thought question...Does paying someone to weigh me weekly amount to a form of insanity???? 
 could you tighten up my straight jacket, please!?

Have a terrific day!  I will also.  The challenges of life would be impossible for me to deal with if I was without the Gospel!  You too?

(I hope I'm not babbling or prattling!  just a heartfelt sharing!)


2 comments:

Natalie Thompson said...

You are not "babbling or prattlling"! I enjoy your perspective on things, Nancy. I really believe that we do become more introspective as we get older and that is a good thing. It helps us formalize some important issues in the event we have to expound on them to someone in need. I have been made aware lately about how attitudes and beliefs on SO MANY things have changed since you and I were younger....in high school. Do you, like me, see things more plainly now and find it difficult that others can't see the things we've learned? Do we need to be more patient in giving others the time to evolve like we have? Again, this blog is your "journal" to your family AND to others. Blessings to you and Terry!

Nancy Seljestad said...

I believe that are some basic sort of things that pertain to mortality and living the Gospel in mortality. We all have to learn the same things, in my book. As each person learns something, and maybe we've already learned it, they are as excited as when we learned it and most want to do their own discovering. Our current age gives such a great perspective on what really matters in life, doesn't it?! Always wonderful to hear from you! xoxox
Also thanks for always encouraging me to blog! I appreciate the gentle prodding!