Saturday, June 6, 2020

My own "Straw"

The Proverbial straw that broke that camel's back, in my own life, could be traced back to when my dryer stopped working!  This really proved to be my undoing.  An unraveling of sorts.  Being in quarantine I didn't want someone coming into the house to check it out.  I ordered 2 drying racks that turned out to be quite small but adequate when combined with my short length clothes line.  Then a friend lent me her large rack.

Friends were willing to take my wet laundry but I opted to do it myself.

Somehow or other, with Terry not doing real swift and seeing all sorts of odd jobs... if left undone could cause problems down the line?...started to weigh heavy on me.  One day I felt sick.  Exhausted.  Overwhelmed.  Frustrated.

Our daughter, who constantly checks on us from her Florida home, had planned to come out and then Covid struck the country and all our plans, along with the entire world, it seems, were put on hold.  She and her hubby had quarantined and got the Covid test and she said...Mother, we are driving to Washington and will stay in our van and drive straight through and bypass motels and restaurants.

I said...No.  No.  You mustn't do that.  Stay home.  it's to much etc. etc.

She said...Let me talk to Daddy.

I hear her as she started telling him that she was worried about me.  I sounded sick etc. etc.

Suddenly the thought washed over me...I need help.  

I took the phone and told her...Do come.  I need you.   

Best decision I ever made!  To realize...I need help.

They came and stayed for 10 days.  Our SIL is a fixer-upper fellow and he does everything with a heart that is so happy to help.  I'd made a list as requested and it was extremely long.  I figured there were just a few things that I longed to have fixed/checked and the rest would be ticked off eventually.  They did the entire list and then added things they wanted to do to even make it longer!  Ending with power-washing the house!

#1 was my dryer!!  Ah, bliss as I hear it's steady sound!

#2 was putting together a corner desk with a hutch for Terry's computer.  It was his Christmas gift!  It took a lot of work as some holes weren't drilled.

#3 was fixing a gate post which ended up very involved with 3 posts having to be dug up

#4 was cutting down my sweet lilac tree... so overgrown it was partially blocking light at a window.

It was an amazing 10 days, filled with so many changes/repairs...all sorts of nips and tucks happened and they just lifted my spirit to wonderment...amazement...deep gratitude.  I have recognized/been the recipient of so many blessings during this Covid experience.  Friends have been so marvelous... and then to have family come and work so hard, with such love, is just the best!

That patch of rough water in my personal life, traced back to my dryer giving up, has calmed down and I'm so thankful.  One thing that has not been rough and has remained placid and very calm is my testimony and faith in Jesus Christ...the Restoration and that is joyous!

No comments: