Thursday, January 11, 2018

3 lessons shared

(this is copied from Elder Renlund's FB post.  The lyrics are to one of my all time favorite hymns that the Tabernacle Choir sings and I was glad to see them in print.  The tributes to President Monson have all been so sincere and touching.  What a miracle for us that we can watch the funeral tomorrow as it is happening!  I'm so thankful for that opportunity.)


How I love President Thomas S Monson! As I have reflected on the life of this extraordinary man, I have thought of three invaluable lessons he taught me, beginning in April of 2009 when he set me apart as a General Authority Seventy. President Monson spent more than an hour with Ruth and me that day. At some point he mentioned a favorite hymn and promised he would teach it to us before we left. However, with all that was going on, it slipped his mind and we didn’t learn the hymn. By the time we got home, there was a message on our answering machine from his secretary, asking if we could come back because he still wanted to teach us the hymn. The first lesson is that President Monson always kept his word.
The next day, we returned to President Monson’s office and spent an additional hour and a half with him. He gathered some of his staff around, and one of the sisters played the piano. His teaching of the hymn reminded me of learning a song in Primary, one line at a time! As we were leaving, I said, “President Monson, you have been so kind to us.” His response was, “I have only treated you as I would want to have been treated.” The second lesson is that President Monson knew and understood the Golden Rule.

The hymn that President Monson taught us was “If the Way Be Full of Trial, Weary Not,” which includes these words:
If the way be full of trial, weary not;
If it's one of sore denial, weary not;
If it now be one of weeping,
There will come a joyous greeting,
When the harvest we are reaping, weary not.
CHORUS
Do not weary by the way
Whatever be thy lot
There awaits a brighter day
To all, to all who weary, weary not.

The third lesson comes from watching President Monson as his health has declined; he truly did serve the Lord with all of his heart, might, mind, and strength. While his physical body was failing, he truly did “weary not.” May we all go and do likewise.

No comments: