Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Undershepherd

Living as I do in small town America, in Zillah WA, population approximately 3239, I along with the rest of our country have read and watched with horror as CA wildfires have consumed, with a vengeance, every thing in it's path.

In reading about many of the devastated areas, the one that grabbed my heart the most was Coffey Park.  It's a little over a thousand people bigger, population-wise at 7312 residents, than my town.

5 days ago the homes destroyed there were numbered at 3500.  That is more homes than the population of my town!

As one headline read...

Coffey Park has been described as a "little slice of the American dream," where a vibrant mix of Latinos, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Indians, and white people lived in modest homes.

I love this description. These were/are single family dwellings, of people desiring to live in peace and work hard to make it and enjoying where they live...including enjoying their Park.

The town name comes from the park...Coffey Park.  Looking below at the map of devastation/destruction...I was touched the Park survived and is still green!!  The Park surviving represents such hope to me.

Coffey Park  Santa Rosa, CA
Population: 7312 residents
Average age: 47 years old
Homeowners: 69%

Coffee Park in the center- red=homes destroyed


Coffey Park still green!

Green are the pastures...inviting.  Hymns keep running through my mind!!

I feed in green pastures; safefolded I rest

The Lord my pasture will prepare...to fertile vales and dewy meads...amid the cooling verdant landscape flow.

Some from the pastures are straying...Green are the pastures inviting; sweet are the waters and still.

In the midst of all of this loss and suffering we offer green pastures!  Small perhaps and rather self-contained individually but enough to help others.  We are the undershepherds.

Make us thy true undershepherds;
Give us a love that is deep.

Out in the desert they wander, 
Hungry and helpless and cold;
Off to the rescue we'll hasten, 
Bringing them back to the fold.






No comments: