Thursday, October 12, 2017

On Soapbox?

A chill in the air and drizzling rain.  No better weather than to count the blessings of warmth and comfort of a roof over our heads!

This year I bought 2 red hanging Geraniums for the porch plus 2 gorgeous baskets, that were more airy and light with smaller flowers.  I don't know if it's the fact that the geraniums were sort of shaded by the weeping birch tree, from the intense summer heat, but they thrived.  The other two dwindled.  Maybe because of heat but more likely because of my inconsistent watering.  Next year...geraniums only.  Those things are still thriving!

Loved the porch facelift this summer.  It wasn't a rebuild but just a redo facelift.  I love a porch!  I found the cushions I want for next year.  Pretty much convinced myself to just cover the furniture with a tarp for the winter but today...not thinking so.  I need to get them moved into garage as always!  The roof leaks and besides a tarp is so redneck!  Oh, that's right.  I am one!

**********************
(Warning....Soapboxing follows!)

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles (sheet music cover).jpeg

Yesterday's announcement about the Boy Scouts going to allow girls to earn their Eagle Scout award reminded me of how much I appreciate the Family Proclamation.  I appreciate it being so clear cut and I accept it as Doctrinal.  I like knowing what the Church stands for- being as how I'm a member!

When it first came out, I was surprised at the mention, that marriage is between a man and woman, as I thought that was pretty obvious.  Since then I've had other things happen that have deepened my thankfulness for clarity of the document.

I recently had an experience at a Dr.'s office that made me realize that the part about gender in the Proclamation leaves no doubt.  Also the YW theme identifies us as daughters. Of course!  Silly goose!  Boys or Girls.  Male or Female.  Does it really need to be stated?  What else is there?

Well, I'll tell you what ...there is a lot to choose from.  The Proclamation clarifies that choice is NOT an option.  That gender is firm.

Remember when I had that throat biopsy at a new Dr.?  They didn't send me new patient papers so I filled them out when I got there.  True- they said if I was uncomfortable with any question do not answer it.  

I was so caught off guard that I ended up asking for a new patient form, when I left, as I wanted to give a lesson to my Laurels on gender as mentioned in the Proclamation and also that marriage is between a man and woman.

Here are the choices for 
Gender identity:
Male-
Female-
Transgender Male/Trans Man/FTM-
Transgender Female/Trans Woman/MTF-
Genderqueer-
other.

What sex were you assigned at birth?  male  female

What Gender Pronouns do you prefer? he, she, they, zie, etc.

Do you think of yourself as:
Lesbian, gay, or homosexual-
Straight or heterosexual-
Bisexual-
Something else-
Don't know

Social History
Relationship Status...
Single-
Married/Monogamous-
Married/Open-
Partnered/Monogamous-
Partnered/open-
Divorced-
Separated-
Widowed 

I questioned why all of this info was asked.  Turns out-The Dr. I was going to was in a temporary location while a large hospital is being built.  Eventually all of these temporaries will be in one place in the new Hospital and they want uniformity on information.  That was her explanation.

When I was checking in for the recent procedure I had at a hospital, sitting there answering questions, I noticed a small sign taped on the glass.  It said if I was a different sex than assigned at birth that I must declare that info each time I checked in at the desk.  Huh?  I asked the gal to copy it for me and she did and I can't find it!  I will find it and share as it was so unreal to me.

I asked her why that was there and she explained if I gave a female name but my ID was a male name/gender and vice versa then that has to be noted.  Something like that.

Is you or is you ain't?

Honestly.  Never saw this coming down the Pike.  Love the clarity of the Proclamation.  Ooops.  repeating myself.

Nor did I see this scenario coming.  A new Dr. for me.  Her first day back from maternity leave.  Twins!  She comes into the room and I'm shocked at her fitness and vitality and
I ask...How old are your twins?  
She-3-1/2 weeks! 
Me...what??!!  Look at you!  How can you be back to work after just having twins???!  
She, laughing...My wife had them.  Not me! 

When I heard Elder Oaks speak at GC about the Proclamation and share the back story on the work that went into it...I remembered these two incidents and was thankful even more for the Proclamation.

I am a daughter of God.  A beloved one!  And so are you!

**********************
By Elder Oaks.....

In 1995 a President of the Church and 14 other Apostles of the Lord issued these important doctrinal statements. As one of only seven of those Apostles still living, I feel obliged to share what led to the family proclamation for the information of all who consider it.
The inspiration identifying the need for a proclamation on the family came to the leadership of the Church over 23 years ago. It was a surprise to some who thought the doctrinal truths about marriage and the family were well understood without restatement.8 Nevertheless, we felt the confirmation and we went to work. Subjects were identified and discussed by members of the Quorum of the Twelve for nearly a year. Language was proposed, reviewed, and revised. Prayerfully we continually pleaded with the Lord for His inspiration on what we should say and how we should say it. We all learned “line upon line, precept upon precept,” as the Lord has promised (D&C 98:12).
During this revelatory process, a proposed text was presented to the First Presidency, who oversee and promulgate Church teachings and doctrine. After the Presidency made further changes, the proclamation on the family was announced by the President of the Church, Gordon B. Hinckley. In the women’s meeting of September 23, 1995, he introduced the proclamation with these words: “With so much of sophistry that is passed off as truth, with so much of deception concerning standards and values, with so much of allurement and enticement to take on the slow stain of the world, we have felt to warn and forewarn.”9
I testify that the proclamation on the family is a statement of eternal truth, the will of the Lord for His children who seek eternal life. It has been the basis of Church teaching and practice for the last 22 years and will continue so for the future. Consider it as such, teach it, live by it, and you will be blessed as you press forward toward eternal life.
Forty years ago, President Ezra Taft Benson taught that “every generation has its tests and its chance to stand and prove itself.”10 I believe our attitude toward and use of the family proclamation is one of those tests for this generation. I pray for all Latter-day Saints to stand firm in that test.
I close with President Gordon B. Hinckley’s teachings uttered two years after the family proclamation was announced. He said: “I see a wonderful future in a very uncertain world. If we will cling to our values, if we will build on our inheritance, if we will walk in obedience before the Lord, if we will simply live the gospel, we will be blessed in a magnificent and wonderful way. We will be looked upon as a peculiar people who have found the key to a peculiar happiness.”11

I testify of the truth and eternal importance of the family proclamation, revealed by the Lord Jesus Christ to His Apostles for the exaltation of the children of God (see Doctrine and Covenants 131:1–4), in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


Elder Oaks full talk is here


********************************
Image result for family proclamation to the world


Left





 to bookmark pages, highlight text, and


No comments: